These pita chips are the ultimate snack. They’re easy to whip up and fantastic in flavour! Enjoy them with our amazing dips and impress the crowds when you bring out your next charcuterie board.
Our Sumac Pita Chips recipe is here to give you a snack that is quick to prepare and ultra-tasty! Learn how to convert a basic pita into a delicious, drool-worthy snack that will keep you coming back for more. The beauty of these crispy triangles is that they are the perfect accompaniment to all your favourite dips, they make a great base for creative canapés, and they are honestly enjoyable on their own as well. Coated in vibrant sumac dust, these pita chips are packed with flavour and look great too!
In case you’re not familiar with sumac, let’s talk about it for a minute. Sumac spice comes from the sumac plant, and is very prominent in Middle Eastern cuisine, the plant itself being Indigenous to the Middle East. To make the spice, the seeds of the sumac plant are harvested, dried, and ground, resulting in the wine-coloured powder that is an essential addition to your spice collection. The flavour of sumac can be described as tangy, with an acidic punch that is reminiscent of lemon juice. We chose to use sumac for this recipe because of its unique flavour profile and the pop of bold colour that gives a great contrast to the beige pita chips. We’re definitely reaching for this punchy spice more and more these days, and once you try these chips, we bet you will too!
Because people have different preferred methods of cooking, we are coming to you with TWO different ways to create these amazing chips: baked and fried. Whichever you choose, both methods provide you with an undeniably crunchy result. With minimal preparation and quick cooking times for both methods, perfectly golden-brown pita chips come together in no time and are ready to be tossed in vibrant sumac dust in under 20 minutes! Enjoy our Sumac Pita Chips alone, top them with your fav vegan cheese and a seasonal jam or fruit, or our personal favourite, dunk them into your favourite dip.
Some of our go-to suggestions that would make a delicious duo with these pita chips are:
Honestly, this snack is great for any dip; and all of our dip recipes can be found by clicking here.
Try this recipe, and don’t forget to share your creations @smallkitchenbigplates
Sumac Pita Chips - Baked or Fried
These pita chips are the ultimate snack. They're easy to whip up and fantastic in flavour! Enjoy them with our amazing dips and impress the crowds when you bring out your next charcuterie board.
- 4 pita pockets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons ground sumac
- Slice each pita into 6 or 8 triangles.
- For baking version: Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats and arrange the pita on the sheets. Brush the olive oil over both sides of each pita triangle and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 12-15 minutes until they begin to turn golden-brown and then remove from the oven.
- Add the garlic powder and sumac to a large bowl and then transfer the baked pita to the bowl and toss to coat all of the pitas.
- For fried version: You will need to do this in two batches, so the pitas are not overlapping in the skillet/pan. Heat half of the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or large pan over medium heat. Add half of the pitas to the skillet or pan in a single layer and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown. Add to a bowl with half of the garlic powder, salt, and sumac and toss to coat all the pitas.
- Repeat with the remaining pita.
- Serve the pita chips warm with our Roasted Shallot, Onion, & Garlic Bean Dip with Rosemary & Sage, our Classic Creamy Roasted Garlic Hummus, or any of your other favourite dips!