Charred Broccolini with Miso-Tahini Drizzle
Charred Broccolini is the perfect side dish and will elevate your green veggie game on so many levels. It’s ready in just 30 minutes, packed with flavour from the Miso-Tahini Drizzle, and is an absolute delight for both the eyes and taste buds!
This is a stand-out side dish and it will quickly become one of your favourites! The mild and sweet broccolini is grilled or roasted to a light char and then drizzled with an umami-packed sauce. Our Charred Broccolini with Miso-Tahini Drizzle is truly delicious with layers of flavours, and the best part is that it all comes together in only 30 mins. You won’t regret choosing this recipe when you want something that can be whipped up in a jiff without sacrificing on flavour!
Broccolini (AKA baby broccoli) is a fantastic hybrid of broccoli and Chinese broccoli. Although it looks similar to bitter broccoli rabe, they are actually part of different broccoli families. Broccolini is part of the brassica family (along with cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts), with florets that closely resemble standard broccoli, while their long slender stems and leaves are found on Chinese broccoli. The flavour profile has a mild sweetness and is less bitter than broccoli. The texture shines with its perfect ratio of stem to florets. The thin stems can be cooked to the perfect level of tender while holding a little crunch, while the florets crisp up beautifully and take on a deep level of charred flavour. This hybrid vegetable should not be overlooked and can be an easy way to switch up your green veggie rotation. Our recipe using our fav green veg is the perfect introduction if you are unfamiliar with broccolini, while also giving broccolini fans like us a flavour-packed take on a classic roasted or grilled veggie dish.
As much as we love a humble roasted veggie with oil and spices, sometimes you gotta kick it up a notch. That is where our Miso-Tahini Drizzle comes in. It is a creamy sauce, rich with umami flavours of miso, tahini, and sesame oil. Not only does the miso add umami goodness, but it also brings a level of funk that complements the nutty flavour of tahini. A dash of maple delivers the perfect amount of sweetness, and lemon juice and zest give the citrusy punch that finishes off the sauce. Although made for this recipe, Miso-Tahini Drizzle can be a great sauce for many more meals. Use it as a salad dressing, or drizzle it on grain bowls, roasted sweet potatoes, avo toast, you name it! The possibilities are endless!
Also, charred lemon, you ask? YES. This is a crucial component of the dish and shouldn’t be overlooked! Exposing lemon to the high heat helps loosen juices for an easy squeeze while providing smoke and earthy flavours to the dish. The bright yellow and contrasting dark, charred marks also provide an undeniable aesthetic to the plate alongside the vibrant green of the broccolini.
Our Charred Broccolini with Miso-Tahini Drizzle is bound to impress everyone! Although it is a side dish, it will be the talk of the meal and you may want to think about doubling up. This dish is bright, vibrant, and citrusy while also bursting with deep and complex flavour. For a dish of such bold flavour, it is an added bonus that it is ready to be devoured… and we mean DEVOURED, in just 30 minutes! Try this recipe, and don’t forget to share your creations @smallkitchenbigplates
Happy Hot Grill Summer!
Charred Broccolini with Miso-Tahini Drizzle
Charred Broccolini is the perfect side dish and will elevate your green veggie game on so many levels. It's ready in just 30 minutes, packed with flavour from the Miso-Tahini Drizzle, and is an absolute delight for both the eyes and taste buds!
- Charred Broccolini
- 2-3 bunches (1 pound) broccolini
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Miso-Tahini Drizzle
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Water to thin (a few tablespoons)
2. BBQ: Preheat the BBQ to 400°F (204°C). Toss the broccolini in a bowl or shallow dish with two tablespoons of sesame oil. Arrange the broccolini right onto the BBQ. Grill for 18-24 minutes, until the stem and florets are charred and semi tender, tossing halfway through. You will want to develop a nice char on the tops, but still have a little crunch in the stems. Five minutes before the broccolini is done, add the lemon halves face down on the grill. Remove the broccolini and lemon from the BBQ and transfer to a serving dish.
3. Oven Roasted: Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat, add the broccolini, and toss with two tablespoons of sesame oil. Bake for 18-24 minutes, until the stem and florets are charred and semi tender, tossing halfway through. You will want to develop a nice char on the tops, but still have a little crunch in the stems. Five minutes before the broccolini is done, add the lemon halves face down on the grill. Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish.
4. To assemble, arrange the broccolini how you like on a serving dish or plate – we like to layer it and face the florets in both directions. Drizzle Miso-Tahini Sauce over the charred broccolini and top with sesame seeds, chilli flakes, and a squeeze of charred lemon (if using). Serve immediately.
- Usually the broccolini pieces are thin enough to leave whole, but if there are thick pieces, just slice them in half lengthwise before tossing in oil.
This recipe will definitely become part of our dinner repertoire!!
What a stunning dish! I can taste the flavor all the way here!