Blueberry Cocktails Two Ways: Gin Spritz & Mojito
We may still be a few months out from summer, but patio season has just arrived in Toronto after four straight months of lockdown, and we felt inspired by that and the unseasonably warm weather we’ve been having, so we’re giving you two fresh cocktails this week! Blueberries are in abundance at all the markets in our area, and they look too pretty to resist when they’re all laid out in those pretty blueberry baskets so we decided that they would be the perfect inspiration for today’s cocktail recipes. We wanted to create two very different beverages; one a little more complex with the addition of a homemade simple syrup and one a classic blueberry mojito. Whether you decide to recreate just one or go for it and make both of them, your palette will be bursting with freshness of blueberries and citrus, and you’ll definitely be feeling cheery.
The more advanced cocktail plays on pairing blueberry with lavender, both spring flavours that perfectly complement each other. The simple syrup adds not only bold flavour but also a sweetness that balances out the lemon zip. We felt it was only appropriate to use our favourite brand of gin… Toronto’s one and only Collective Arts! You’ve seen it here before, but this time, we opted to use their seasonal Lavender and Juniper Gin because it was just the perfect fit. All mixed together and topped with club soda to put the spritz and the gin spritz, this drink delivers on both looks and taste.
Everyone knows classic Mojito, but we’re here to help you elevate it with a fruit twist. We’ve taken fresh blueberries and mulled them in with the mint to bring out the juices and full flavour. What Mojito wouldn’t be complete without tangy lime juice, a little bit of sweetness, and a generous amount of gin?! This cocktail is simple and easy to whip up but yields an amazing drink that you want to keep on sipping.
Both these cocktails are stunning to present, with the vibrant purplish-blue colour coming through, they are sure to impress family and friends! Whether you’re a cocktail connoisseur or just a beginner, there’s a recipe for you.
What fruit do you want to see us use next in a cocktail?
Don’t forget to tag us in your creations – @smallkitchenbigplates
Blueberry Lavender Gin Spritz
Blueberry and lavender pair so well together so we’ve created this gin spritz to highlight both flavours in a drink that is both delicious and eye-catching. The homemade simple syrup is easy to make but adds a complex depth of flavour to this beautiful cocktail.
- Blueberry Lavender Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 tablespoon dried culinary lavender
- Blueberry Lavender Gin Spritz
- 3 ounces Collective Arts Lavender and Juniper Gin
- 2 ounces blueberry lavender simple syrup
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Club soda, for topping
- Blueberries, for garnish
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and combine the sugar, water, and blueberries and bring to a boil. Stir for a few minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved and the blueberries begin to break down. Stir in the lavender and then turn off the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Strain the simple syrup and set aside.
- Fill 2 highball glasses with ice. In each glass add 1 1/2 ounces of gin, 1 ounce of simple syrup, juice from half a lemon, and stir. Top with club soda and give it another stir and then add some fresh blueberries and enjoy!
- We love Collective Arts gin so we thought their Lavender and Juniper Gin would be perfect for this cocktail but if you can’t find it you can use any gin.
- You will have leftover simple syrup which you can store in a jar in the fridge for up to a month.
- Make sure your lavender is culinary grade as these types are the best for cooking and have the sweetest flavours.
We’re starting summer off extra early this year with a fruity and refreshing blueberry mojito! It is super simple and full of bright flavours of blueberry, lime, and mint all mixed into one delicious cocktail.
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 12 mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 ounces white rum
- 2 limes, juiced
- Club soda, for topping
- 2 slices of lime, for garnish
- 2 sprigs of mint, for garnish
- In each mason jar or stemless wine glass add 1/4 cup of blueberries and muddle with a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon. Add 6 mint leaves and 1 teaspoon of sugar to each and muddle again.
- Pour 2 ounces of rum and the juice of 1 lime into each glass and stir well.
- Fill the glasses with ice almost to the top and then add a splash of club soda to each and stir again. Garnish with fresh blueberries, a sprig of mint, and a slice of lime and sip away!
Bring on summer!! These cocktails will put you in a summer mood, for sure.
LikeLiked by 1 person
definitely ready for summer over here!!