Nuts For Cheese All Day – Pancakes, Loaded Toast, & Pizza
One of the first things people always ask us when they find out we’re vegan is “how do you survive without cheese?!” Thankfully, with the growing popularity of veganism and innovative and creative minds, the vegan cheese scene has popped off in recent years. A few years ago, one brand we discovered was Nuts For Cheese; a female-founded vegan cheese company from London, Ontario. So the answer to the ultimate question is… we eat Nuts For Cheese all day. In spirit of that, we have created three cheesy recipes to get you through the day, so you too can go Nuts For Cheese all day.
Starting off with the most important meal of the day, we bring to you Blueberry Un’Brie’lievable Pancakes. Wait… did you say cheese in pancakes?! Don’t write this off too quick because when we say these are the only pancakes we are ever making again, we mean it. These fruity and sweet yet savoury pancakes will have you eating the whole stack. The sweetness of fresh blueberries is complemented with the tangy Un’Brie’lievable cheese added into the batter, making this pancake recipe so desirable. We know that when we are able to have friends visit our apartment, there will be a fresh stack of these pancakes waiting for everyone!
Whether you’re working or busy living your life, we believe that lunch should be quick and easy, but you shouldn’t have to sacrifice quality and flavour. That’s why we have come up with a simple toast recipe that delivers on all fronts. It starts with a humble loaf of your favourite sourdough covered in Nuts For Butter and then toasted to golden brown perfection. Nothing beats our favourite Nuts For Cheese, Black Garlic, and when whipped with lemon and thyme, it is the best spread on a toasty. The topping of oyster and cremini shrooms sautéed with shallot, garlic, lemon, and thyme bursts with flavour and makes this lunch so hearty and filling. And for a pop of colour, microgreens do the perfect job of providing beautiful colour and crunch.
You’ve made it to dinner, and what is a better finish to your day than pizza? No need for delivery here; we got you covered with the showstopper: Buffalo Cauliflower and Blue Cheese Pizza. We used pizza dough from a local bakery, but make your own if that’s your vibe! Then we topped it with a roasted garlic buffalo sauce, Wholly Veggie Cauliflower Wings (we often make our own but to save time, Wholly Veggie is a great alternative), and our Quick Pickled Onions. After that sweet baby comes out of the oven, flavour town shows up with Nuts For Cheese Super Blue. We generously crumble a whole wedge on top because the more, the better, and then finish it off with fresh arugula. Whether you’re making this all for yourself (no judgement from us) or sharing, you’ll be fighting for the last slice (unless you’re like us and can eat a whole pizza to yourself).
So it is clear by now that we do go nuts for cheese even though we’re vegan, and we can do it all day thanks to Nuts For Cheese. Let us know your favourite meal of the day and how you’ll be elevating future meals with Nuts For Cheese.
Don’t forget to tag us in your creations – @smallkitchenbigplates
Blueberry Un’Brie’lievable Pancakes
This is not your average pancake recipe. We've elevated our stack with a tangy twist of Nuts For Cheese Un’Brie’lievable and fresh lemon juice to complement the sweet blueberries.
- 1 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 package (60g) Nuts For Cheese Un’brie’lievable
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more for topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup blueberries, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons Nuts For Butter, plus more for topping
- In a small bowl combine the oat milk and lemon juice and set aside for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the Nuts For Cheese Un’brie’lievable, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and maple syrup to a medium bowl and whisk with a fork until it is well combined. Add in the oat milk mixture and whisk again to combine.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is incorporated. Fold in the blueberries and set the batter aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a pan or griddle to low-medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of Nuts For Butter. For each pancake, add a heaping 1/4 cup of batter to the buttered pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles appear throughout and the edges start drying out. Flip the pancakes and allow them to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and continue until you have used up all of the batter, adding the second tablespoon of butter when you are halfway through the batter.
- Stack them up and serve with Nuts For Butter, more fresh blueberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy!
Mushrooms on Whipped Black Garlic Cheese Toast
Looking for an easy yet delicious lunch for your busy day? Look no further than this incredibly satisfying and hearty loaded toast with a creamy and cheesy spread on a fresh slice of sourdough.
- 2 1-inch slices sourdough bread
- 100g oyster mushrooms
- 100g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Nuts For Butter, divided
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped and divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 package (60g) Nuts For Cheese Black Garlic
- Microgreens, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Arrange the slices of bread on a baking sheet and spread 1/2 tablespoon of Nuts For Butter on each slice of bread, coating both sides. Bake in the oven until the bread is golden and toasted, around 6-8 minutes and then set aside.
- Meanwhile heat a large frying pan or skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of Nuts For Butter. Rip apart the oyster mushrooms and add them along with the sliced creminis to the pan and cook for a few minutes without stirring until the bottoms begin to brown. Give them a stir and add the last tablespoon of Nuts For Butter, the thinly sliced shallot, and minced garlic and cook for a few more minutes. When the mushrooms are brown and there is no more liquid in the pan add 1 teaspoon of thyme, half of the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste, and stir. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together 1/2 package of Nuts For Cheese Black Garlic, 1 teaspoon of thyme, the remaining lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and whip with a fork until combined.
- To serve, spread the cheese mixture onto the toasted bread, pile the mushrooms on, and top with micro greens. Optionally, drizzle with you favourite hot sauce and enjoy immediately!
Buffalo Cauliflower and Blue Cheese Pizza
We got you covered for your next pizza night with the pizza of your dreams! From a creamy homemade buffalo sauce, to crispy cauliflower wings, and topped with Nuts For Cheese Super Blue crumbles, this perfectly balanced 'za will leave everyone who tries it totally satisfied.
- 400g pizza dough (we used Prairie Boy sourdough pizza dough) Roasted Garlic Buffalo Sauce
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo
- 1/4 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Toppings
- 1 package (375g) Wholly Veggie Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1 package (120g) Nuts For Cheese Super Blue, crumbled
- 1/3 cup Quick Pickled Red Onions or raw red onions, sliced into small pieces
- Big handful of arugula
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Cut the garlic in half crosswise and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and turn up the oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the bulb and add to a blender. Drain and rinse the cashews and add them along with the remaining sauce ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Take the sauce packet out of the Wholly Veggie Buffalo Cauliflower Wings and set aside. Stretch out the pizza dough into 14 inches in diameter on a circular pizza baking tray. Add the roasted garlic buffalo sauce to the middle of the dough and spread it out towards the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch crust space. Add the cauliflower wings and pickled red onions to the pizza. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the crust and the cauliflower wings are golden brown.
- Once the pizza is out of the oven, cut open the Wholly Veggie Buffalo Wing sauce and drizzle it across the pizza, coating the cauliflower, add a handful of arugula on top, and then crumble the wedge of Nuts For Cheese Super Blue over the whole pizza. Slice and enjoy immediately with the extra Roasted Garlic Buffalo Sauce!
- You’ll have extra roasted garlic buffalo sauce which makes the perfect dipping sauce for the pizza!
- If you have the time, make your own pizza dough but if not, use any store-bought pizza dough.
- If you are making your own buffalo cauli, usually the buffalo sauce isn’t added until halfway through or until it has cooked just like the one in this recipe. Reserve the buffalo sauce just like we do with the Wholly Veggie sauce and add it after the cauliflower has baked on the pizza.